Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Think, Speak, Relax.

Lately, I have been reminded of a very important, but awfully challenging verse in Scripture. James 1:19-20 tells us, "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." Its not that I have found this particularly challenging with strangers or even acquaintances, but rather with those closest to me. Why, you may ask? I've been wondering the same thing. I know God is working on me, that's a first because He is always working on me. I am an imperfect human, just like everyone else in the world. I think that sometimes we often think of those who are close to us as being "good." But as James tells us, when we get angry or frustrated and say those words that we wish we could suck back into our mouths, we are not showing the righteous life of a Christian. And, more importantly, we are not showing the love of Christ. Why would we need to show the love of Christ to Christians, though? I think that it is a great way of accountability. By showing our love and care we can demonstrate to even Christians how to act like Christ shows us in the Bible. That demonstration acts as encouragement to other Christians to also love others. By listening and thinking before we choose our words, we can be more Christ, and often avoid a sticky situation. I experienced that tonight and the moment I said what I did, this verse just popped into my mind. I knew it was a God thing, and thankfully I have a very loving forgiver; first, and foremost, God, and also the person I offended. God has really been showing me ways I need to improve my life, and I know this is one area that can definitely use some tuning up. And, who knows, maybe by changing and sharing, I can encourage others. I believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for everyone sins, and that only through Jesus will I be able to spend eternity in heaven because God is such a loving God. John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." I know that making changes in my behavior does not guarantee me a spot in heaven, but only knowing Jesus as my personal Lord and Saviour does. But hopefully, by my speech and actions I can witness to those around me by showing them love, the same love that God has for me, as well as everyone He has created. ~Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment